On Sunday 25th February, The Classic Motor Hub hosted a meeting of the North Oxon & Cotswolds Area Military Vehicle Trust, whose members look after and restore the wide range of ex-military vehicles from both the UK forces and overseas. Attendees included a number of variations of the iconic Jeep, a Simca transporter, and a variety of wartime Austin vehicles.
The day started with a cross-country convoy starting out at Bibury, and ending at the Sherborne Arms in Aldsworth. On their travels the Military Vehicle Trust stopped off at The Hub for a couple of hours, where they met for tea and to converse about their vehicles in the cold winter sun. Donations were also made by attendees to the Midlands Air Ambulance.
A 1959 Simca Marmon leading the charge alongside a 1954 Austin Champ, 1944 Willys Jeep and a Ford Jeep. Externally the Willys, Hotchkiss and Ford Jeeps look very similar to the untrained eye, but – as enthusiasts will attest – there are a number of subtle differences that distinguish the three. These differences include minor changes in the design of the lower grill, bumper, bonnet hinge and tool box lids.
A 1976 UAZ 469B alongside a 1938 Austin 10 RAF Staff Car and the Simca Marmon. The UAZ-469 is an off-road light utility vehicle manufactured by UAZ that was used by Soviet and other Warsaw Pact armed forces, as well as paramilitary units in Eastern Bloc countries. In the Soviet Union it was also widely used in state organisations that required a robust and durable off-road vehicle. It is still used to this day in Russia and in many countries across Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
The Simca Unic Marmon Bocquet (to give it its full name) is a French Army truck manufactured from 1959 until the late 1960s (although some were rebuilt by Renault around 1990 with diesel engines and modern braking and electrical systems). The SUMB was in service from about 1964 until the late 1990s and fulfilled similar roles for the French army as that previously taken by British Humber 1 ton, Austin K9, Landrover 101, and Reynolds-Broughton RB44 during those years.
Despite the outbreak of World War II, production of the Austin 10 continued in large numbers, including this 1938 Austin 10 “Cambridge” RAF Staff car. Altogether, 53,000 of the saloons and utilities—pick-ups and vans were manufactured during the war — the last two unofficially became known as “Tillies”.
It was a delight to see such different vehicles to those that we usually deal in here at The Classic Motor Hub, although the setting outside our World War II aircraft hangar ensured that the Military Vehicle Trust members all felt very much at home.
Here at The Hub we regularly hold private events for motoring clubs, and have a very full diary for 2018. If you’d like to get in touch with us about holding a private meet or event here in 2019, be sure to get in touch as soon as possible, as we are already taking bookings for next year. You can find out more about our our site on the About Us page, whilst further details of motoring events can be found on the Events page.