- 1932 Lagonda 3-Litre
- Competed on the 1933 Monte Carlo Rally
- Single ownership since 1964
- Extensive notes and invoices dating back to the 1960s
First registered on 5 August 1932, this Lagonda 3-Litre Type 2 Tourer is chassis number 10115 and has been in the same ownership since 5 November 1964. Although little is known about the pre-war custodians of GY 2362, the Lagonda Club’s book Lagondas in Competition states that it took part in the Monte Carlo Rally in January 1933.
The 3-Litre was car number 45 for the famous but gruelling event, and started from John O’Groats at the northern tip of Scotland with H Welch at the wheel. The car safely made its way down the UK and through France before coming to grief near Aix-en-Provence, when it was involved in what Motor Sport magazine described as a ‘spectacular mix-up with a laundry van’. Sadly, the Lagonda was unable to carry on.
The continuation logbook notes that, by 1954, this Lagonda 3-Litre was owned by a Richard Leeming in north London. It next passed to John Scanes of Hertfordshire and then Essex, before being acquired by its most recent custodian in 1964.
He would end up keeping it for almost 60 years, writing copious notes about the work that was carried out – all of which is still part of the car’s history file, which also includes MoT certificates going back to 1962 and tax discs to 1963.
In the late 1970s, it was decided that the bodywork needed to be restored. Marque specialist Peter Whenman stripped the fabric covering from the body and reported that ‘none of the existing aluminium panels will be of any use except the scuttle’. New panels were therefore used and the required work was completed by June 1978.
Other well-known names from the Lagonda world to have worked on GY 2362 over the years include Ivan Forshaw, who rebuilt the front axle in 1972, and John Ryder, who rebuilt the 3181cc engine in 2004.
Now at The Classic Motor Hub and for sale for the first time since 1964, this Lagonda 3-Litre is a charismatic choice of pre-war British thoroughbred with handsome coachwork and an interior that has acquired a beautiful patina. It has been cherished by its long-term enthusiast owner and is now ready for its next custodian to use and enjoy.
Founded by Wilbur Gunn and based in Staines, west of London, Lagonda made a name for itself before World War One by winning the 1910 Moscow-St Petersburg Reliability Trial and experimenting with innovations such as monocoque construction and anti-roll bars.
Lagonda started to focus its attention on sporting models during the 1920s, and in 1925 the 14/60 was introduced with a new overhead-valve, 1954cc, four-cylinder engine that had been designed by Arthur Davidson. It featured hemispherical combustion chambers and the twin camshafts were mounted high in the block.
The 3-Litre model was introduced in 1928 and used a development of the 16/65 model’s Davidson-designed six-cylinder engine, but with a larger 72mm bore to give an overall capacity of 2931cc. During the course of its production run, it was bored out again – increasing capacity to 3181cc.
Two types of chassis were used, with a wheelbase of either 10ft 9in or 11ft 6in. Earlier 3-Litres used a frame resembling that of the 2-Litre, while the later ‘ZMB/AMBS’ chassis would subsequently be developed for use on the M45 model.
Prices started at £945 for the Semi-Sports and Tourer models, or customers could buy an unclothed chassis for £775 (short-wheelbase) or £845 (long-wheelbase).
The 3-Litre stayed in production until 1934, when it was replaced by the 3½-Litre. It’s thought that there are fewer than 60 survivors from the combined production run of both models.