- 1950 Morgan F Super for sale
- 1 of 129 built between the end of WWII and end of production
- 1 of only 3 surviving according to the Morgan Owners’ Club
- Original Scarlet Red colour with black leather seats
- Engine rebuilt in 2001 with sparing use since
The first Morgan three-wheeler of 1910 was of simple construction with a motorcycle engine mounted on the front and with its basic two speed transmission it was economical to run, light and very fast. The choice of British V-twin motorcycle engines was wide at the time and options included Blackburne, British Anzani, MAG and of course JAP which were the most frequently used.
H.F.S Morgan’s humble creation, given its superior power to weight ratio outperformed most larger engined, four-wheeled motorcars of the day and in 1911 driving his own car Henry Morgan won the Gold Medal following the route of the current A30 in the London-Exeter-London Reliability trial. The following year Harry Martin of Croydon won the inaugural Brooklands cyclecar race three minutes ahead of the rest of the field in his Morgan three-wheeler. The competition success was great publicity for the Malvern based company which was soon prospering and production of three-wheelers approached 1000 by WWI.
The Great War meant that all factory production was diverted to the war effort but with peace in 1918 production quickly resumed with both racing and touring car models. The following decade saw a huge growth in cheap light car manufacturers and to compete Morgan refined their range offering the F4 (four-seater) with a new pressed steel, channel section frame and their signature sliding-pillar independent suspension at the front, fitted with the Ford Model Y’s 933 c.c. four-cylinder engine, the water cooling of which allowed efficient cabin heating. It now also had three speeds and a reverse gear. This model was soon joined by the two-seat F2 and by the end of the 1930’s the more powerful Ford 10hp 1,172 engine became available being offered with a short wheelbase chassis and Girling brakes as the F2 Super Sports 2-seater. It was good for more than 70mph and could cruise comfortably at 65. Renamed the Morgan F Super, it continued after WW2.
The combination of a lively, high-revving engine with a mere 8-cwt load obviously spells acceleration and it was especially in this department and in hill-climbing, that the Morgan F’ Super was found to excel. From a standstill it simply leapt off the mark and a heavy foot on the accelerator would send the engine into a crackling crescendo as the revs. built up. The final examples left the factory in 1952 when production concentrated on four-wheel models.
THIS MOTOR CAR
Delivered in September 1950 to Allens of Cambridge, This Morgan F Super (JCE 853) was one of a small number of ‘F’ Supers built in 1950 and one of only three surviving in running order known by the Morgan Three-Wheeler Club. The original colour is known to have been red and one of the early owners was the Reverend Howard M. Pearson, a great character and frequent entrant in club events.
The car was subsequently exported to Jersey and was the subject of a comprehensive restoration in the early 1980’s and subsequently continued to be rallied. The engine was re-built in 2001 and now carries a lovely mellowed patina of use. Smartly finished in crimson red with a black interior and available for sale and immediate inspection at The Classic Motor Hub.