- Fully restored by Sammy Miller
- Rare and collectable model
- Beautiful ‘50s style
- Easy to start and a rides wonderfully
The Hoffmann Motorcycle Company started production in 1949 building the Italian Vesper Scooter under license for Germany and in addition they produced 2-stroke motorcycles with Sachs and Ilo engines. In the early 1950s Richard Kuchen, one of Germany’s leading motorcycle designers, created a beautiful BMW-like 246cc transverse-mounted, horizontally opposed 4-stroke twin with overhead valves and unit construction. It powered the rear wheel via a shaft drive and had elegant tin-ware that gave the bike clean and elegant lines.
The model was called the Hoffmann Gouverneur, and utilised telescopic front forks and plunger rear suspension set-up, bringing it to the cutting edge of motorcycle technology of the period. The engine was enlarged into a 250cc called the MP 250-2 and finally in 1953 it was enlarged again into a 300cc model called the S300. Sadly, despite these upgrades the company closed in 1954 due partly to high build cost and a weak home market but also due to a legal dispute with Vespa over their licensing agreement.
It is a shame things ended this way as the small capacity Hoffmann Gouverneur machines are built to an amazingly high standard and have a real get up and go that belies their small capacity. Their styling is also fabulous being both pragmatic yet stylish at the same time. This wonderful 1952 motorcycle has been fully restored and must be one of the best remaining examples of these rare little bikes. The bike was fully rebuilt under the supervision of Sammy Miller and has recently been on display at his museum.
This Hoffmann Gouverneur is in wonderful condition throughout and is now available at The Classic Motor Hub for immediate inspection.