- 1959 MGA 1500 FHC
- Californian market car
- Converted to right-hand drive
- Recent updates completed
In 1951, MG’s chief designer Syd Enever built a streamlined body as a one-off for a TD chassis that would be driven by George Phillips at the Le Mans 24 hour race. The design proved a success and several other racing cars were produced until 1955 when the works Le Mans cars, known as EX182, were effectively the car that would become known as the MGA.
It was so different from the T-Series of cars that it replaced it was called the MGA, “the first of a new line” to quote the contemporary advertising. The MGA combined a rigid chassis with the new Austin/BMC designed 1,489cc B-Series engine, initially producing 68bhp although this was quickly raised to 72bhp. It used a 4-speed gearbox with independent front suspension and a live rear axle. It was available with either wire-wheels or steel disc wheels. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 100mph (the first production MG to do this) the MGA Coupe proved an instant hit selling 13,000 units in its first year of production. In total 101,081 cars were sold throughout the world by the time production finished in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported. Only 5869 cars were sold to the home market, with most going to North America and Europe.
THIS MOTOR CAR
The MGA 1500 FHC we offer here is a 1959 coupe that was delivered new to California. It remained there until it was repatriated in 1990 at which time it was re-painted, re-wired and converted to right-hand drive with the added benefit a stainless steel fuel tank. It was then stored in a heated garage on blocks until the current owner acquired the car in 2010. The car was already a good example but the new owner went about getting the car back into top condition with everything working as it should. Amongst other work a new radiator, Falcon stainless steel exhaust and windscreen glass were fitted, the paintwork was freshened up, and an unleaded head was installed. The majority of the work was carried out by Vintage Metal in Herefordshire with other parts being supplied by well known MG specialists.
This MGA 1500 FHC now drives as it should and is in exceptional condition. Being a Californian car the shell is exceptionally solid and the paint has clearly seen very little rain. This is a wonderful example of these beautiful ‘50s sports cars and is available for sale and immediate viewing at The Classic Motor Hub.